Who we serve
Palliative Care is for people living with many different types of diseases and chronic illnesses. These include cancer, cardiac disease such as congestive heart failure (CHF), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), kidney failure, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) and many more.
Palliative care is based on the needs of the patient, not on the patient’s prognosis. It is appropriate at any age and at any stage in a serious illness, and it can be provided along with curative treatment.
Care is typically provided at the patient's home or wherever the patient may call home.
A palliative care consult will assist you in managing complex pain, symptoms, comorbidities, patient/family communication, and other issues. Palliative Care will also save you time.
Indications for palliative care referral:
- Declining ability to complete activities of daily living
- Unintentional Weight loss
- Multiple hospitalizations
- Continuity of care among healthcare providers/patients
- Difficult to control physical or emotional symptoms related to a serious medical condition
- Patient, family or physician uncertainty regarding prognosis or goals of care
- AND/DNR order conflicts
- Need for Advance Directives
- Use of tube feedings or TPN in cognitively impaired or seriously ill patients
- Limited social support and a serious illness (e.g., homeless, chronic mental illness)
- Patient or family psychological or spiritual suffering
Anyone can make a referral to Life Touch Hospice:
- Family members
- Nursing homes
- Faith communities
For questions or to request a palliative care consult for your patient call 870-310-1022